The default implementation of dual wielding in RPG Maker MV is pretty lackluster, an actor who is wielding two weapons strikes once, with both animations from his weapons showing simultaneously, and damage of that one hit being calculated with all of the traits of both weapons. This can make for some weird synergies, like equipping a weapon with a high hit % to offset the low hit % of a much heavier hitting weapon, or taking advantage of double elemental weaknesses with one powerful hit causing all kinds of balancing problems. Not to mention the fact that a dual wield actor can ever only wield weapons in his hands.
This plugin changes all of that. Dual wield actors will now strike twice with normal attacks, each individual hit will show its own weaponsprite and animation, and will do damage and added effects solely based on the weapon being swung. Additionally, being a dual wield actor doesn't limit you to using only weapons in your offhand anymore, shields are available to everyone!
The above features are 100% plug and play. The plugin does all of the heavy lifting for you. But there are a lot more granular changes that more advanced users can take advantage of as well.
- Weapons can be locked to <Mainhand> or <Offhand> only.
- Weapons can also be <Twohanded> which will prevent even using a shield in their offhand. This tag doesn't only apply to dual wielding actors, either.
- Shields can be marked <Offhand> which denotes them as being light enough to use together with a two handed weapon.
- Configurable penalties/bonuses for dual wielding, wielding an offhand weapon, or two-handing a weapon.
- Skills can be tagged as <Mainhand> or <Offhand> as well, which will cause them to only use the images, animations, and parameters of the item in the hand chosen.
I have also created a menu extension plugin for this one, which modifies several default menus, as well as several menu scenes added and upgraded by the Yanfly plugin suite, to show updated information.
The menu extension add-on included with this plugin can also display features from my shield block plugin as well. For actors who are using a shield in their offhand, their block chance will be shown in menus in the place where their offhand attack value would've been shown if they'd been wielding a weapon.
This plugin requires the use of Yanfly's Battle Engine Core plugin.
For more advanced information see the documentation.
- You may use this plugin in free or commercial games
- You may use this plugin in as many projects a you like.
- You may not share this plugin, or the demo project with anyone else.
- You may modify this original script in any way you see fit, but you may not claim full ownership of the resulting edited file.
- You may share edits you made to this script publicly, but only as standalone extensions to this plugin, meaning that your modifications cannot be used without also owning this plugin.